“Choose Kindness” has become an internal slogan for the students, faculty and staff at Christ Methodist Day School.
CMDS highlights the Fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) throughout the school year, but kindness is the subject of intentional emphasis all year long. From daily devotions and Chapel lessons to a campus-wide signage effort, teachers strive to encourage their students to “choose kindness” every day.
By focusing on this character trait, CMDS fosters an environment that is loving and safe for all of our students.
CMDS 6th Graders Hattie Mae and Harrison are our student bloggers for the 2017-18 school year. Here they give eight ways to choose kindness, inside and outside of school.
Choose Kindness Inside of School
- While at school, if there is student sitting alone at lunch, then you can go and sit with that person.
- You can also pick up trash in your classroom, so that the maintenance men won’t have to clean up your and your classmates’ messes.
- In addition, you can pick up trash around the cafeteria, even if it is the most disgusting thing in the world; you can pick up the trash even if it is not your own.
- Also, help your classmates by helping them with assignments they do not understand, and help them with math and other schoolwork.
Choose Kindness Outside of School
- Outside of school, you can do the laundry or the dishes for your parents one night, so they don’t have to. Maybe they can relax for a change.
- Another example of showing kindness outside of school is holding the door for people. Let others walk in front of you and be glad to help an older person out by holding the door for them or for anybody in general.
- You can also show kindness by offering to help people take a family photo. When taking a photo, someone is usually behind the camera and not everyone gets in the photo. Offer to take it for them, so that they get everyone in the photo.
- You can also offer to clean parts of the house for your parents, or, even better, do it without being asked!
Christ Methodist Day School opened its doors in 1958 to 75 kindergarten students. Since then, CMDS has stayed true to its Christian elementary school roots while continuing to thrive as one of the best private schools in Memphis. Come see why we are the primary choice for so many Memphis families.