Christ Methodist Day School began in the hearts of several people who, after realizing that the area served by Christ Church (East Memphis) didn’t have a coed Christian school, recognized that “a school where boys and girls could have daily help in understanding the greatness of God and His love, while teaching the Christian way of life” would add much to Memphis and the surrounding community. Among them were Dr. Charles Grant, CUMC founding minister, Harry A. Johnson, Chairman of the CUMC Commission on Education, and charter member Ella McVean, who was able to realize her dream of “being part of a school with high standards and high ideals.”
After a great deal of hard work and many hours of prayer, Christ Methodist Day School opened its doors in 1958 to 75 kindergarten students, with Mrs. McVean serving as its first headmaster. CMDS thrived under her leadership from 1958-1974, and has continued to grow steadily since under the leadership of four administrators: Sam Drash, 1974-1984; David W. Fox, 1984-2002; Steven T. Jackson, 2002-2013; and current Head of School, Dr. Bryan Williams, since 2014 (Associate Head Teena Maginn served as Interim Head during academic year 2013-2014).
In addition to grades 2K through sixth, the school also offers an Early Education Program for children ages 6 weeks to 2, before- and after-school program, summer camp program and music academy. For nearly six decades, CMDS has continued to progress in the areas of technology, research and educational trends, yet maintain its essence, hold on to its rich traditions, and remain steadfast to its mission.